Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Things Can Be Worse

6:30 a.m.
The alarm gave a shrill sound... I stuck to my daily routine and put it on "snooze" . Yes indeed , that was my daily routine. Yesterday night , with the million and one thoughts revolving in my head , I had fallen asleep. Some months back , days and nights alike used to symbolize "life" to me in its most beautiful aspect. Every moment seemed special , every second worth living. There had been almost a magic of sorts. Work was good , family was great and friends - beyond compare. I used to feel as if I wanted to smile a million times , but I had no option but to overlap smiles... yes , one would begin before the other had a chance to end.

That was five months ago.
Today , life has changed ...
Or perhaps , my perception of it definitely has.

Today , as the alarm rang , there was no excitement about starting a new day. I dragged myself out of bed and got ready ... I did everything slowly and without vivacity and vigour. My only aim was to catch the bus on time.

Five minutes had passed since the alarm had woken me up. As I peeped into the living room , an unexpected sight caught my eye. There were keys strewn all around the room.
The key stand ,which was actually quite sturdy , had fallen down after fracturing its neck .

There had been two umbrellas which had been hanging onto the stand. One was now under the table , and the other some inches afar.

I quickly retreated to my bedroom.
The first thought that came to my mind was a "pigeon". I am terrified of them .
My heart started beating rapidly.
A pigeon is something I just do not know how to face. When confronted with this creation , my mind stops thinking completely. And the only signs of life in me are:
A heart which seems to beat 172 times a minute
A reflex action to choose the best possible hiding location.
A shrieking cry to whosoever is with me to make the pigeon leave "my territory"

Alas! Today I was all alone in that 2 BHK . And I was at my wits end. I had to get ready for office and leave. So I definitely had to leave the sanctuary of the bedroom which I had bolted from inside.

Mustering courage , I opened the door. I first checked the bathroom. No way was I going to use it if there was the slightest possibility of a pigeon lurking in some corner.

That done , I checked the other bedroom. With fearful eyes , I checked the tubelight and the attic. All seemed clear.

Slowly , I was done with the entire house. Once I was sure that there wasn't a pigeon anywhere around , taking God's name , I shut all the windows.

Yes , there was one thing which was bothering me. If I discovered a pigeon after closing the windows , I would surely have a heart attack. So , preparing for the worst and leaving the rest to the Almighty... I got ready for office.

The next test of courage will be in the evening , when I will be returning home, taking unwilling steps.

But I will leave that description for a later time. If there was any good thing in what happened this morning , it was that it distracted me from my humdrum existence. It made me realize that things could be worse.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home